British Glass's vision is to support and build a strong, successful and sustainable future for glass. Our services to our customers ensure that the UK glass industry and its supply chain, has the knowledge, influence and skills to compete globally.
The organisation is growing and developing, and this role will be core to delivering existing and new services to a global customer base including glass manufacturers, food and drink brands and retailers. We are looking for a skilled and driven individual who is able to work on their own initiative and further develop this area of the business.
The main purpose of this role is to provide an outstanding information service including research, data analysis, statistics and market reports to both internal and external customers. You will be the first point of contact for customer information requests and work with international clients and partners to collect and share data, while complying with confidentiality and data policies. British Glass proactively represents the needs of the glass manufacturing sector in Government circles at a UK and European level. This requires the provision of robust data and information to persuade appropriate decision making to strengthen glass production in the UK and EU on a wide range of issues including recycling, energy, environmental trends and comparison data for other materials. The Information Officer will also support the consultancy arm of the business working on a wide range of UK and international projects such as providing reports on developing markets.
The post holder will also be responsible for the design and implementation of a digital data and information system to store and interrogate data and information on global glass manufacturing and glass products markets. With emerging technologies and changes in the domestic and global market dynamics including consumer tastes and retailer requirements it is essential that the demand for glass products is understood and more importantly predicted to prepare for future requirements.
In return for being part of the British Glass team, you will be rewarded with an exciting career opportunity with a competitive salary, continuous career and personal development and further benefits while being able to work in an excellent flexible working environment.
- Develop the information services across the business for both internal and external customers;
- Identify the current information requirements across the business;
- Research and extract sales and production data from public sources for glass products and competing products and process into valuable information;
- Assess markets for glass products including food & drink, construction, domestic and automotive sectors;
- Predict trends in the markets and regulations that may impact on the glass supply chain;
- Identify and collect published articles from public and confidential sources;
- Manage the indexing and electronic storage of articles, documentation, standards, publications etc;
- Verification and checking of data to ensure it is robust, reliable and current;
- Analyse confidential data adhering to strict competition rules;
- Work with the Senior Communications Officer to publish information and articles;
- Produce reports to reflect market analysis findings, including graphical illustrations;
- Present information in different formats to internal and external audiences.
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate the necessary skills to:
- Acquire an in-depth understanding and knowledge of how this role fits and contributes to the overall organisational objectives;
- Act upon their own initiative and seek opportunities for effective change and constant improvement to the systems and services offered to members and customers;
- Demonstrate sound judgement using evidence and knowledge to arrive at accurate, expert and professional decisions;
- Communicate with members and internal colleagues, with purpose direction and clarity;
- Work collaboratively, sharing information as appropriate and build trusting and professional relationships with colleagues, members and customers;
- Focus on delivering timely performance with energy and taking responsibility and accountability for quality outcomes.
Qualifications and experience
- Desirable: Information / data management related degree. Candidates that hold a social research, social science, economic or analytical background will also be considered;
- Experience of market analysis and data collection is preferred but not essential if you have the drive and ability to develop this role.
Knowledge and abilities
- Locate appropriate data sources for market data;
- Provide research on a variety of projects consecutively;
- Microsoft Excel skills to be able to produce statistical reports and graphs;
- Database software for storing and indexing publications.
- During the course of these duties the post holder may have access to or witness commercially sensitive/confidential information. This must not be divulged to an unauthorised person at any time;
- Some out of normal office hours working, travel and over-night stays will be required, including overseas;
- To ensure that health and safety standards are maintained and improved in accordance with the Health and Safety at Work Act etc 1974, and the health and safety policy statement, the post holder must ensure that safe systems of work are used within own area of responsibility.
All applications should be sent to in the form of a CV and covering letter to HR@britglass.co.uk.