Beatson Clark designs greener bottle for Hendo’s
Two long-established South Yorkshire businesses have worked together to create a more environmentally friendly glass bottle for the famous food brand, Henderson's Relish.
Henderson’s Relish – known locally as Hendo’s – has been made in Sheffield since 1885, and now the family-owned firm has teamed up with Rotherham-based glass manufacturer Beatson Clark to update the product’s packaging.
Victorian entrepreneur Henry Henderson used to encourage his customers to recycle their bottles by bringing them back to be refilled. The new bottle designed by Beatson Clark continues this environmentally friendly theme as it contains 30% recycled material, with up to 10% collected locally and processed in Beatson Clark’s onsite recycling plant.
The bottle has ‘Henderson’s Relish’ embossed above its signature label and ‘Henderson’s Sheffield’ on the base, a redesign that honours the memory of historic Henderson’s bottles from the early years of the last century.
The embossing was created using Beatson Clark’s state-of-the-art sculpting software. This allows the company to create complex designs and replicate them perfectly in the finish moulds, which results in a high-quality, well-defined and consistent embossing.
“We are always very pleased to work with local businesses, and to design and manufacture a bespoke bottle for such a well known local brand as Henderson’s was a real pleasure,” said Chris Palmer, Business Development Manager at Beatson Clark in Rotherham.
“This is a great example of closed loop manufacturing because we recycle local domestic waste at our on-site recycling plant and re-use the glass to make new bottles and jars.
“Henderson’s has a long heritage and we think it’s fitting that the new embossed bottle we designed pays tribute to the brand’s history.”
Henderson’s Relish is still being blended to the original secret recipe of Henry Henderson. The recipe remains a secret only known to three family members.
The new 284ml bottle of Henderson’s Relish is now available in all stockists.
• Beatson Clark specialises in providing glass packaging solutions for niche brands in the food, drink and pharmaceutical markets worldwide. The key to its success has been flexibility, innovation and the high quality of its containers.
• Beatson Clark’s customers are at the core of its business and the company is proud of the long-standing partnerships it has developed thanks to the outstanding level of service it offers.
• Beatson Clark has a turnover of £48 million and a production capacity of approximately 520 million units or 145,000 tonnes. It employs approximately 330 people.
• It has ISO 9001:2000, BRC/IOP Food Packaging Hygiene Standard and OHSAS 18001:1999 Occupational Health & Safety Standard and its manufacturing capability has an emphasis on flexibility to facilitate short tailored production runs. It has a UK distribution centre located in Rotherham.
• To find out more about Beatson Clark, please visit www.beatsonclark.co.uk